keys.discount is a web platform for used licenses. The licenses for Windows and other software available in the shop of keys.discount are cheap, safe, legal and with activation guarantee.
Here you can find some general information about used software, an overview of the most important legal information as well as answers to frequently asked questions from our customers ("FAQ“)
Used software is available for sale in the European Union as well as in Switzerland according to current jurisdiction provided that the necessary conditions are met. The necessary conditions are as follows:
- The software must have been originally placed on the market in the territory of the EU or another EEA contracting state or Switzerland by way of sale with the consent of the rights’ holder.
- The license for the software must have been granted in return for the payment of a fee which should enable the rights’ holder to obtain a remuneration corresponding to the economic value of the copy of the software.
- The rights’ holder has granted the first buyer the right to use the software permanently (unlimited).
- Improvements and updates, which the computer program downloaded by the subsequent purchaser has in comparison with the computer program downloaded by the first purchaser, must be covered by a maintenance contract concluded between the author/right’s holder and the first purchaser.
- The original licensee must have rendered his copies unusable.
- In addition, the seller must also inform the customer that the purchase of a product key by transmitting a combination of numbers and letters in digital form does not yet constitute a license to use the program legally. Corresponding information can be found on this page under point 2 and at various other places on our website.
keys.discount ensures that the above mentioned requirements are met and that a legal use of the software is guaranteed. The requirements of the European legislation are also met in Switzerland.
You can find further information on:
There is a lot of legal information about the topic of used software. We are more than happy to answer any questions you may have. You can contact us at any time via firstname.lastname@example.org. In the meantime, you can also find a short overview of the most important legal information regarding used software here:
- We only offer product keys for the activation of the respective computer programs. This is not yet a license.
- The principle of exhaustion is normally met or the license is "used up" as soon as it has been lawfully placed on the market for the first time. The present offer is software which has been put into circulation for unlimited use in the form of an activatable product key with the possibility of downloading the program. Microsoft or the respective other software provider has received an appropriate remuneration for this.
- With us you get access to particularly attractively priced used licenses from volume license agreements, which - from a legal point of view - are to be treated in the same way as parts of volume licenses at the initial purchase.
- All brand names and brand logos are registered trademarks, the use of which is used here only for product description - the property right lies with the respective trademark owner.
For distance contracts concluded by telephone, on the Internet or when ordering from a catalogue, EU law provides for the possibility for consumers to withdraw from the contract for a certain period of time ("right of withdrawal"). A consumer in this sense is any natural person who concludes a legal transaction for purposes that are predominantly neither commercial nor self-employed. In Switzerland we usually speak of consumers.
Consumers have the right to cancel the contract within fourteen calendar days without giving reasons. The revocation period begins on the day the contract is concluded.
In order to exercise your right of withdrawal from keys.discount, you must inform us by means of a clear statement (e.g. a letter, fax or e-mail sent by post) of your decision to withdraw from this contract. For this purpose, you can contact us using the following information:
Stratus Holding AG
Phone: +41 800 999 555
keys.discount also provides a template revocation form, which you can find under keys.discount/fileadmin/user_upload/formular_stratus_DE_default.pdf. In order to comply with the revocation period, it is sufficient to send the notification of the exercise of the right of revocation to Stratus Holding AG before the end of the revocation period.
If you revoke this contract, we must reimburse you for all payments which we have received from you for the corresponding order, including delivery costs (with the exception of additional costs which result from the fact that you have chosen a different type of delivery than the cheapest standard delivery offered by us), immediately and at the latest within fourteen calendar days from the day on which we receive notification of your revocation of this contract. For this repayment we will usually use the same means of payment that you used for the original transaction, unless expressly agreed otherwise with you. In no case will you be charged for this refund.
A used software license is basically freely available in Switzerland and the EU. Swiss courts as well as the European Court of Justice have already passed judgements which confirm this.
There are also no contractual obstacles, as long as the resale of the standard software is not prohibited or limited in the license agreement between the software provider and the first purchaser. In addition, contractual obstacles are only effective between the author and the first purchaser, which means that you, as the later purchaser of the product keys or software licenses, can use them without hesitation.
Used software is generally freely available for sale in Switzerland and the European Union.
Art. 12 para. 2 of the Swiss Federal Act on Copyright and Related Rights ("URG") already clarifies that a computer program sold by the author can be resold and used (so-called principle of exhaustion). This means that with or after the sale of work copy (this includes software), the author has lost his right to decide on its further distribution.
Based on this principle, the cantonal court of Zug has confirmed in its judgement of May 4, 2011 against the software company Adobe (cantonal court ref. ES 2012, 822) that the trade with used software licenses is basically allowed under Swiss law.
The EU courts came to the same conclusion. In particular, the Regional Court of Munich ruled in its ruling of April 4, 2008 in Case 30 O 8684/07 that no further consent from Microsoft was required for the resale of individual used Microsoft software licenses under a volume license agreement. This decision was later confirmed by the German Federal Supreme Court and the European Court of Justice. In 2014, for example, the German Federal Supreme Court held, with reference to a ruling by the European Court of Justice, that trade in used software is largely unrestricted and that such software is therefore generally available for over-the-counter sale.
In order for the author's distribution right to be exhausted, it is generally necessary in particular that:
- The software was originally brought into circulation in the EU, the EEA or Switzerland by sale with the consent of the author;
- The author has granted this license against payment of an appropriate fee;
- The author has granted the first purchaser a right to use the copy permanently;
- Improvements and updates (so-called updates) which the software downloaded by the subsequent purchaser has, in comparison to the software downloaded by the first purchaser, are covered by a maintenance agreement concluded between the author and the first purchaser;
- The first purchaser has rendered the copy of the software installed on his computer unusable (e.g. by permanently deleting it); and
There are no compromises to the initial purchase. The buyer of used software licenses is also entitled to all services in connection with the software.
No, no verification is necessary.
When purchasing with us you will not experience any unpleasant surprises, you will acquire existing rights to the used software licenses effectively.
The principle of over-the-counter (OTC) salability also applies to volume licenses as well as to single volume licenses for the purpose of separate resale - as long as the agreed maximum number of users will be respected.
Prerequisite for the lawful resale of the used license is in any case that the first purchaser no longer needs the software to the extent of the resale and deletes the program copies existing on a computer to the corresponding extent.
This is also protected accordingly in European case law. In particular, the Regional Court of Munich decided in its ruling of April 4, 2008 on Case No. 30 O 8684/07 that no further consent from Microsoft was required for the resale of individual used Microsoft software licenses from a volume license agreement.
The Regional Court of Hamburg, which had already declared the sale of used software licenses from volume agreements to be lawful in 2006, came to the same conclusion (RC Hamburg Az. 315 O 343/06).
No, there is no legal obligation to do so.
If the seller or manufacturer has different contractual regulations, keys.discount will take care of the correct procedure.
No, generally, no further consent is required for resale. With the first sale, the author or manufacturer’s power of disposal over this copy of the software is exhausted, so that he may not impose any further conditions for resale.
Used software licenses may be sold within the EU, the EEA and Switzerland. For other countries, a corresponding legal clarification is to be made in each case.
The term "used software" justifiably leads to questions and confusion, as used software is often associated with an existing wear and tear. As with other products, software becomes used software if it has already been used.
However, software has the advantage that it is usually not subject to wear and tear. The installation and use do not cause wear and tear in the actual sense, but rather let the software become used software by definition. Therefore, a used software should be of the same high quality as a software that was purchased directly from the manufacturer or an authorized dealer. Worse work results or worn components are not be feared when it comes to software. This is a good possibility for companies to optimize their own license costs for the software needed in their company by purchasing used software licenses.
Usually these are licenses from companies that, for various reasons, sell unused or no longer needed software licenses. This may be due to consolidation or mergers. Also, system changes or faulty planning within a company can result in the release of used software licenses. Or when a company ceases its business activities and the licenses are sold in a liquidation sale.
You will receive a delivery note on which the license key and the transfer of rights to the seller are noted. You will also receive the link to the download available in our shop.
Under "My orders" you can also find the link to our download center. This is a .rar file, which you have to unpack after the download, then start the "setup" file and start the installation process.
How and where do I enter the license key? On your PC, click the "Windows Button" Control Panel Programs and Features. Your program should be there. Change it with the right mouse button or enter the product key. If this is not the case, you can make changes with the right mouse button or enter the product key directly.
Yes, several customers of keys.discount have been successfully audited by the software author or manufacturer, which did not question the legality of the resale according to the procedure of keys.discount.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you need more information about audits.
keys.discount has already provided reference customers for several customers regarding the sale of product keys.
On request of existing and new customers keys.discount is willing to establish contact to such a reference customer. Please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you want us to put you in contact with a reference customer.
If you have a question that is not answered in these FAQs, you can contact us by e-mail at email@example.com.
4.16.1. What does ESD mean?
ESD means "Electronic Software Distribution" or "Electronic Software Download" and thus stands for the distribution of software and games via the Internet. Thus, when buying digital products there is no shipping of physical data carriers or key-cards. Instead, you download and install your program or game directly from a server.
4.16.2 What are the benefits of ESD
The benefits of ESD are:
- Unlimited availability;
- Central storage location of your license keys on our portal;
- Available 24 h a day; and
- No delivery time (e-mail dispatch within one hour after order completion).
4.16.3 How does ESD work?
To download your program or game from the server, you must proceed as follows:
- Step 1 - Complete the order: Place the desired item in the online shopping cart as usual and complete the order process. After completing the order, you will receive a confirmation by e-mail.
- Step 2 - Confirmation email: Shortly after receiving the confirmation email you will receive a second email. In it you will find the product key. Next to the product key there is a copy button. Press the copy button and copy the product key.
- Step 3 - Activate software: Download the required software from the download center. Install the software. Paste the required product key from the clipboard and finish the installation.